Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Three Books in Review

Creature of the Night - Kate Thompson


Here's a story of a teenage boy, Bobby, set in Ireland. After some problems with Bobby in the city (and some creditors), his mother, who is a bit irresponsible herself, moves them out to the countryside to start over. They rent a little house belonging to their neighbors. But once there they learn of the disappearance of the previous tenant and are also told to leave a bowl of milk out on the porch to appease the fairies. Bobby not wanting to be there, steals the neighbors and soon after has to make amends by helping out on their farm. The book is full of the mystery of 'the fairies', but more importantly about Bobby learning to grow up and taking responsibility.

All in all a good read. Kept you interested with all of Bobby's decisions, the neighbor's loving nature and the mystery of the previous tenants. If you're looking for an easy, quick, good read, I would recommend this one.


The Uninvited - Tim Wynne-Jones


In this story we see the lives of three young twenty somethings intertwine in a small Canadian Town. First we have Mimi, who is taking a break after a breaking things off with her Professer, to go live in her Dad's cabin. But when Mimi arrives there she meets our second Character, Jay. Jay is a young musician trying to create some new music in this cabin. They soon realize they are half-siblings and begin a friendship. Our third character, Crammer, is a loner boy, from a broken home, who spies on the other two. And after a break in at the cabin the mystery in sues on what or who is breaking in.

This book was ok, not my favorite, but worth a read if you have some extra time. At first glance, and after reading the cover, I thought this was going to be more of scary monster story. I'll tell you now, it is not. So don't be fooled by that cover (which is how I choose books a lot, by their cover. I can't help it if I have a thing for a mysterious covers and one word titles). The changing point of views leaves it interesting enough. And the end, well, you'll see.
*Also not the same story as the movie with the same title.


Lament - Maggie Stiefvater


Deirdre Monaghan is a 16 year old girl who plays the harp. She's always known she was bit different, but it isn't until she meets Luke Dillon that she realizes how different. After meeting in a girls bathroom and an amazing duet at a recital, the two come together. But Luke has a secret of his own, he is an assassin for the Faerie queen, who of course, wants to kill Deirdre. Deirdre is thrust into a whole new world after all of the four leaf clovers start appearing and her new powers start emerging.

This book was entertaining, especially if you are into the young adult fantasy genre like me. I wouldn't buy it in hardback or anything, but overall good.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I read Uninvited last year, and yeah, it was okay. I was also expecting a supernatural mystery, so I was a bit disappointed with the complete lack of that. But I guess it was interesting enough- I did end up reading the whole thing.

I haven't read Lament yet, but I read Ballad last weekend. I guess Ballad happens after Lament. I didn't realize this before I started reading, but they kept referring to stuff that happened the year before and the back inside cover told me to read Lament to get the story of what happened to James and Dee the summer before. So it's on my list of books to read in the near future. I also haven't read Forever yet, so I need to read that soon, too.