Tuesday, March 8, 2011

24 Week Doctor's Appointment

Today I had a doctor's appointment. I got to meet my new doctor. My old one switched practices and I didn't feel like following her to her new one, even though I liked her quite a bit. The drive would have been like 20 minutes longer and I would have deliver at a different hospital. So, I decided to stay with the practice I'm at. And I'm quite fond of my new doctor. She seems to actually listen to her patients. So I had all the usual routine stuff done (weight, blood pressure, pee in a cup and listen to baby's heartbeat). Then we got to talking about my gall bladder. And she actually listened to me (unlike every other doctor). It probably helped that I expressed how frustrated I was with the ER doc and his complete lack of doing anything and a general frustration that this has been going on for years and no one has felt the need to help past one appointment. Anyway, so she had me do a blood test there in the office. They were checking umm, liver enzymes or something? And also checking for celiac disease, just to make sure it's not a gluten problem making me so sick. And there were a few other things, general blood test stuff to check my levels. And I have an ultrasound scheduled for tomorrow morning to check my gall bladder. She said there's another test that I can take after I've had the baby... some sort of gall bladder function test. And to check if it's inflamed? Cause the ultrasound might not show anything if there aren't gall stones or anything. Also, she gave me a referral to a gastroenterologist, so I have to call him up and set up an appointment. She said sometimes they don't see pregnant women, but in my case to go to him and tell him I've been having these problems for year and that I want to start figuring it out. If nothing else, get everything ready for when I'm not pregnant anymore.

So yup, hopefully things are now moving in that department and we can figure this out. Is it sad I'm excited to so the gastro guy? Finally someone knowledgeable who might actually be able to help. In the meantime, I go to my ultrasound tomorrow and wait for my next appointment. She said we'll discuss the results then (in 4 weeks).

3 comments:

Christina said...

Yeah! I'm so glad you like Dr. Lindsey. I love her too. Hope you can figure out what's going on soon

Mouse said...

Oh good, I'm glad you have a doc who will listen to you. I finally found a good doc after several years. Of course no one has figured out my "mystery disease" yet, but at least he's helped me try!

Rhet and Kaitlyn said...

Its so important that a doctor listens! My first doctor was the type of person that just tries to get patients in and out in the least amount of time possible. My new doctor actually talks to me and answers my questions. It makes me feel so much more comfortable!