Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Chicago 2011

This weekend Jamo and I took a trip to Chicago. We stayed with a friend of ours and saw lots of stuffs. We got there late Thursday night. And so the real fun began on Friday...

While Tiff was at work, Jamo and I went and site saw. We ate some subway, bought some day passes for the CTA (their public transportation). Then we went to the Sears Towers, recently renamed Willis Tower. We stood in line for what felt like hours... ok, it was two hours, but that's still plural. We saw their movie then rode up the elevator. And may I say, that it is one fast elevator. And then we got to see Chicago from the highest point in the state (kind of sad for IL's topography). So here are pictures, yay!

Jamo hanging by some of the informational wall things that told all about Chicago.

A view of the city

That board thing told us names of buildings in Chicago, so we tried to find them all.

We're awesome and put in some quarters. Jameson really liked the green lights on the John Hancock buildings. Something about it looked liked an alien spaceship or something.

Sheri looking threw it. Pretty awesome stuff.

This is my awesome baby (in belly) on "the ledge". I'm sure he'll have fond memories of this vacation.

So they built these glass boxes that extend out from the building, so when you step inside it looks like there is nothing below you. It's kind of freaky at first. Some of the people wouldn't go inside. It gave me a bit of vertigo, but that happens a lot lately with this silly pregnancy (I can't walk down the grocery isle to fast or else I will get dizzy). But it was fun and cool and of course we took pictures. This one being of our feet :).

Jamo, on the ledge, as they called it

Me and my pregnant self on the ledge. I don't think I look all that pregnant in this sweater. But man did I feel it after hours of standing.

In Chicago the weekend before St. Patricks day they have a parade and festivities. And while we didn't not wake up nearly early enough for the parade (or feel like combating the crowds) we did go down and stare at the river. And look how green it is! And all for St. Patrick's day. Fun.

Us by the river. It was really cold and my head looks really small, and maybe like I'm bald. And pretty much only Jamo's hoodies fit my pregnant belly now (at least comfortably). And what is with this ridiculous smile I gave ALL day long. I think it was my, "it's freezing" smile. But well worth it.

This is the Mcdonalds boat. Have you had a shamrock shake yet? They're pretty good, especially if you like mint ice cream. And at our, they make it all pretty and swirly.

Below is Jamo be the awesomely green river. We thought it was a good use of the tax payers money.


Then we took a bus down to Navy Pier. There's not as much going on in the winter as there is in the summer, but we still managed to find things to do and spend enough money.

The view of Chicago from the pier. Also, we learned it was a memorial and not actually used by the Navy at all. There were lots of sailors there though.

Looking at informational facts about how the Pier was built I think.


This is a big anchor (duh) at the end of Navy Pier. And I mean, it was like, really big. You could sit on it and be cool.

They had one ride open... the Ferris Wheel. And going to Chicago and Navy Pier, this is probably one of the things you should do as a tourist. So even though it was cold and windy, we rode on it.

This is the car box thing we rode in, #21.

A view of Navy Pier from above.

Tiffany and Arlen. Arlen is afraid of heights. I'm pretty sure this is the only time he looked away from the floor.

A view of the city from the ferris wheel.

Jamo and I on the Ferris Wheel being our awesome cold selves.


After we got some lunch and saw all there was to see at Navy Pier, we went to Millennium Park. They had some interesting art there...

This big shiny reflective sculpture art thing in Chicago is called "Cloud Gate". Looked kind of like a huge bean... see?


This is the underside of the bean...

Jamo in the city (the bean is behind me). Did I mention it was a bit nippy that day?

View of the city being reflected in the bean. You can see me taking the picture in the corner.


After the park, we went to go buy student tickets for Blue Man Group. We got the last four tickets they had. Sadly Tiff had to sit across from us, but we lived. And it was quite the amusing show. I recommend it to anyone who is thinking about it. It was a giggle fest. I don't have photos of it though, or the theater or anything. Hmm, oh well. It was fun.

On the way there or back, I think on the way to the theater? Riding the metro is always fun. This was my neighbor... They tell me I shouldn't drink while pregnant. Also, after moving the empty bottle to the floor, it managed to stay standing the entire trip (and if you were riding the train, you would understand how amazing that was).

After the show we went to Gino's East. Although we didn't go the downtown location, so it turned out being quite interesting. Looked kind of hole in the wallish. But the pizza was fantastically delicious. And it made me incredibly sick with my awesome gallstones later that night. That's how you know it was good.

On the way back to the apartment we saw this... apparently my husband runs pretty cheap... who knew?


On Sunday we went to my old roommate Kristie's place. We played games and hung out with her, her husband, and twin baby boys... cute!

I noticed though that she only lived about 15 minutes away from the Jelly Belly factory just across the border across the state line of Wisconsin (add another state to my list!). So we went and took their tour...
We took their little train and learned all about the history about Jelly Bellies and how they are made. This is Jamo in his awesome Jelly Belly hat that they make you wear.

This is us outside of the factory after the tour and of course, being some Jelly Bellies!

Yup, me outside.

Jamo with all of our swag. They had jelly belly soda, mine tasted exactly like the juicy pear Jelly Belly, it was amazing. Jamo got the blueberry flavor, yum!

And that pretty much sums up our weekend in Chicago in blog form. Super fun times and lots of memories made. Thank you again Tiff for letting us crash and showing us around the city! Also, for showing us the wonders of Grub Hub. I'm jealous that they can get delicious hamburgers delivered to your door. That was one of the best parts, haha. Chicago Twenty-Eleven!

4 comments:

Arealfan said...

Why do you look chinese in all of your pictures?

Sandy said...

Great pics! Glad you loved the Gino's East. Makes me want to go back to Chi-town. So how was Jamo's interview?

Mouse said...

1. I think that giant silver thing was supposed to be in front of the jelly belly factory.

2. The green river reminds of "The Fugitive" ..."If they can dye the river green one day of the year, why can't they dye it blue the other 364 days of the year?"

3. I don't think I would step out on the invisible ledge thing, me no likey the heights.

4. You're pregnant!

Tiffany said...

GrubHub will be in the St. Louis area by the end of the year ;)

Glad you enjoyed your trip. We had so much fun having both of you here!